Tuesday, July 05, 2005

My son turns 11


Zeb and Dan-dan discuss their gifts. We always give a few to the non-bday kid, so they don't feel left out.

Zen turned eleven today. Hard to believe I am old enough to have an eleven year old kid.

My neighbor's mother was cutting her yard with a pair of shears. I couldn't stand seeing an old woman cutting the weeds literally one by one, so I went over and mowed them down for her. As I was mowing, I stumbled across an enormous web strung between a tree and a bush, and thought: only one kind of spider has a web that big in a place like that. Sure enough, it was one them bad boys, a banana spider. What a beauty it was, hanging there next to the tree.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap that spider is huge! are they poisonous?

Michael Turton said...

Actually, the black string is cable TV cables attached to the house.

Nope, they are not poisonous to humans. Just two species of local spiders are poisonous, and they are both small.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Zeb - check your blog ... where are you?

Anonymous said...

How big is the body on this spider?

Always love the bug pictures. We see a cockroach every 6 weeks or so in the house (Atlanta, Georgia, US) - but the last one I felt before I saw it. It crawled over my knees, in the bed. Yuk!

Michael Turton said...

The body of the spider is large, I'd say 2-3 inches long itself.

Michael