Wednesday, March 22, 2006

April 1, Swenson's Meet Up

Jerome Keating notifies the world:

+++++++++++++++

I am sending the announcement of our monthly meeting on April 1st, 9:30 am at Swensen's early; same place as the last two meetings. I will resend a reminder next week, but this week I wanted all to be able to plan ahead a little since I am adding an element.

[ADDRESS 9:30 am at the same place as last month; Swensen's #81 Keelung Rd. Sec. 2, Taipei.]

At each monthly meeting I hope to have different members speak briefly (15 minutes or so) on something of note to the group. For April, I have asked Jeff Martin to give a summary of his research and findings for his recent doctoral dissertation at the University of Chicago in Political Science/Sociology???.

The Title of the dissertation is "Keeping the Peace in a Changing Regime: Police Work in Taiwan"

Jeff has done extensive studies on the Police Force in Taiwan including how they cooperate with the police in the People's Republic of China in common goals against crime; plus how they defined their role as Taiwan changed from martial law and a one party state to a democracy.

We will have our regular open free-wheeling discussions over breakfast and then give Jeff 15 minutes to hit the key points; afterwards the floor will be open to questions etc.

Besides the synergy we get from sharing with each other I think this will give something extra to our get togethers.

Jerome

+++++++++++++++

1 comment:

David said...

I am finally coming to Taiwan, but don't arrive until lunchtime on Saturday. So sadly I will miss the meeting.