Saturday, March 10, 2007

Why Do Business Letters Suck Here?

Ever wonder why business writing coming out Taiwan is so stilted? I found to my dismay that a textbook I am using for one of my business classes -- second edition, 2004 -- has the following sample letters:

INQUIRING AFTER THE HEALTH OF A FRIEND'S WIFE
Dear Mr. Lang:
I sent over this afternoon to inquire after Mrs. Lang, and was very sorry indeed to hear she is not better, and that you are very anxious about her; but I trust there may be shortly some improvement in her condition. Pray do not think of answering this note; I merely write to assure you of my sympathy, and if anything I can do for you, of course call at once, I do delight in standing by.
With kindest regards, and very best wishes for your good wife's quick recovery.
Believe me
AN SON PI

And this little bit from a letter to a friend after a visit:
"Pray remember me most kindly to Mr. Wei, and to little Master Tom, with whom I aspire to claim a very hearty friendship, and believe me.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are actually in your textbooks for your PhD class?

Why don't they get them edited?

Michael Turton said...

Sorry, my bad, a course I am teaching, not taking.

Michael

Angry Taiwanese Guy said...

I bet the guy who wrote all the original 419 scams also wrote that one.