Friday, August 17, 2007

New Blog: Jeff's Taiwan

Waiter! There's a bug in my coffee cup!

Many years ago I entered the masters degree program at the Elliot School at George Washington University in Washington, DC. I had just got back from Taiwan, and there I met another man who was also deeply interested in Taiwan, and like me, had just gotten married to a beautiful local woman. We both took Bob Sutter's Taiwan class and became instant friends. We've been friends ever since.

I'd like to take a moment to introduce Jeff Miller and his new blog. Jeff is in a class by himself -- first came to the island when Chiang Ching-kuo was president, and knows more about Taiwan than anyone I know. A Keelung local history buff, artist, hiker -- as kind, sensitive, rational, and intelligent a human as you will ever meet. It has been my honor to call him friend for many years, and to grow our families together. I hope you will enjoy knowing Jeff as much as I have.

2 comments:

Jeff Miller 米傑富 said...

Thanks for the kind words Mike. Over generous as always.

Still hope to see you up here next week. Snorkling off the "frozen beach" has been on my mind ever since you and David visited last month.

Anonymous said...

too bad jeff doesn't allow anonymous posts- so i won't be leaving any comments. i just wanted him to comment on social and political changes he's seen in his time in taiwan. i first came to taiwan in 87 and i feel the expats who arrived much later don't appreciate the positive changes that have occurred here. they only see the negative. chronicling these changes for the expat community would be a valuable service for both michael and jeff to do.