Friday, August 24, 2007

Taiwan 419 Scams

The 419 letter repository blog had this today:

MRHUANG CHILIN LETTER TO YOU

From: JTERRAhoustonrrcom - houagchilin@yahoo.com.tw

I am Mr.Huang Chi-Lin.I work with Sino Pac Bank, formerly known as International Bank of Taipei as General Manager, Northern Branches, Taiwan. I have an obscure business proposal for you. My client, Mr.Thabit Alwan an Iraqi Merchant, made a fixed deposit of 17.3mUSD for 18 months with my bank.

Upon maturity several notices were sent to him.

It was later discovered that he and his family were killed in Iraq war living no living witness to this fund.If you are interest I will like you as a foreigner to stand as next of kin so we can receive his....

419 scams, as these scams are known, are a common sight on the internet. You'd think by now that people would have wised up, but there is a sucker born every minute, apparently, for scammers all over the world make a good living from them. For more on 419 scams, visit the informative and entertaining 419eater.com, where people make a hobby out of baiting scammers. Don't miss the Trophy Room there.

3 comments:

MJ Klein said...

wow, i can't believe that we never talked about 419 scams before! i tried my hand at scam baiting a few years ago and got some fantastic, very poorly faked documents and photos. i never blogged on my scam but i did write a PDF account about it.

Shivermetimbers is a scam baiting god. he is my 419 hero!

HeiShouDang 黑手黨 said...

Interesting post Michael, as always. I've been a reader of your blog for a while now and admire your dedication.
I've just reanimated my own blog and you are quite welcome to come over for a look.
I don't think I'll be as prolific as you and some of the other Taiwan hardcores, but I'll try.
I also have a few questions I would like to ask you too. How can I contact you?

HeiShouDang 黑手黨 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.