Saturday, February 23, 2008

Get Taipei in Global Monopoly Edition!

Maoman over at Forumosa alerted me to this:

Hasbro is creating a global edition Monopoly, and Taipei has a crack at making it on as a wild card entry. The 20 pre-selected cities with the highest worldwide votes will make it onto the board. Plus, you will have from February 29 to March 9 2008 to vote on the most nominated Wildcard cities. Only the top two will make it on the board, and Taipei is currently ranked Number 3, behind Gdynia, Poland, and Quebec City, Canada!

Click here to get to the site. You'll need to register, but voting is pretty straightforward!
If my Taiwanese readers would post this to their Chinese-language forums, it would be much appreciated...Gdynia, Poland?

13 comments:

maoman said...

Excellent - thanks for putting this up, Michael.

Anonymous said...

It's about 8:30 pm Taiwan time now, and I don't see Taipei on the list of cities. Has it followed in the footsteps of Jerusalem?

Frank

Tommy said...

You have to write it in at the bottom to nominate the city. I tried to do it using an old e-mail address, but I don't know if it worked. I hope it does. Hong Kong is on the list, but I prize Taipei more :-D. If it did not at least get a spot equal or greater than stinky St. Charles Place, then I would be scandalised.

Anonymous said...

I put my vote in and sent (so far) the link to thirty friends in and of Taiwan.

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael! Are you makin' fun of the world-renowned metropolis of Gdynia?

Anonymous said...

If you are, then you'd best be prepared for some nasty comments from a lot of angry Gdynia-nians.

Michael Turton said...

Far be it from me! Hey, my grandparents are from Poland! I'd never make fun of the Old Country! I'm just saying that maybe Gdynia doesn't have as a good a claim as Taipei does....

skiingkow said...

.
.
.
It would be nice to see Taipei and Quebec City on there as the wild-cards.

It would be most fitting, since both cities have been involved with recent "independence" issues. ;>)

I would love to see a "community chest" card with these words...

"Congratulations! Taiwan has now become a member of the U.N. thanks to your support. Collect $1000 for increased trade relations."

LOL!
.
.
.

Anonymous said...

Just joshin' with ya! Good to be back.

Chaon said...

I caught a bad case of Gdynia when traveling in Cambodia, but a dose of penicillin cleared it right up.

Kieq said...

Greetings frem Gdynia :)
Hope, that Taipei and my city will make it! :)

Unknown said...

I,m from Gdynia. I'm proud of my city and I believe that we can win :P

maoman said...

Success! http://www.hasbro.com/games/kid-games/monopoly/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsID=DB7DFA53-D56F-E112-458E61859535CD3D