Thursday, June 12, 2008

Daily Links, June 12, 2008

The miracle of mimicry above, and on the blogs, the miracle of creativity...
  • Paogao enjoys a night at the national symphony orchestra.

  • Taiwan Scams: The ATM machine.

  • David on Formosa has a guest post on Computex. And a good post on the bike industry and biking here.

  • Fili goes wild with pics at the Tainan Dragon Boat festival.

  • Kaohsiung street signs from Pinyin News.

  • Scott Sommers revisits the decline in test scores.

  • Once Upon a Time in Taiwan goes to Taroko Gorge.

  • Foreign Language blog rips Joe Hung from the China Post.

  • Digitimes interviews Taiwan's Econ Minister.

  • ADDED: Rank rips a piece by Ed Wong of the NYTimes. I still have a post on their last piece on Taiwan sitting in draft. The unnuanced repetition of KMT positions glossed as the conventional wisdom is so frustrating that sometimes I just give up in despair.

  • MEDIA: Days after I noted it on my blog, and after the Defense News piece came out, WaPo reports on the Bush Administration freeze of arms sales to Taiwan. But don't worry! On Progressive websites we will continue to read how the US is dumping arms on Taiwan to foment a war with China. Because progressive views of Taiwan are still in the Cold War. In addition to Computex, this month is also the Taiwan Nano Exhibition. Taipei City will ban disposable chopsticks. Taiwan drafts laws for Yuan conversion. Many gaudy changes will be made, but what about addressing things like Taiwan's oppressive tax and visa situations, as well as the lack of schools for foreign students?

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Mind if I post a couple non-Taiwan related tech links that maybe a few people will find useful?

    I recently came across a cool freeware app called: Rocketdock

    It's the Apple menu bar made for Windows. I think it is made by the same software team as the Apple version. So far I'm really liking it. I set the size to 20px and it floats nicely on the top of my screen.

    I also use Treepad a small freebie app that is just a simple tree structured notepad. I have a ToDo list, ToBuy list, etc. I also created one page called "Learn from Michael" where I clip and paste some of his articles (and commenter's feedback) for future reference.

    --

    Lastly, here is a story about a Japanese guy who made a canoe out of disposable chopsticks.


    Happy Friday the 13th.

    Anonymous said...

    Is that a kind of click beetle?

    Michael Turton said...

    Thanks, reeb. Interesting stuff.

    Dunno, Cary. But it is certainly a beautiful bug.